Ridley, Mallet, and quick slants from Jaguars v. Patriots
Jacksonville @ Patriots
Watched two and a half quarters. The story here was the proficiency of the Patriots’ backup QBs, Ridley showing soft hands and some shake, and Blaine Gabbert looking decent with little time to prepare.
- Wrote about Ridley in Preseason Stars yesterday, but even more impressive when you see him. For example, on his first run, bounced it outside to avoid a loss and get 6 yards. Will score a ton of TDs.
- Cuningham with his hand in the ground rushing, 4-3. Saw some 3 and 5 man fronts as well. Bellichick and Del Rio both blitzed.
- Hoyer good composure to deliver ball deep but Edelman dropped. Quick release and not afraid to deliver the ball with big hit coming.
- Hernandez fumbled twice, losing one but also had 4 catches for 55 in the 1st quarter (6 for the half).
- Welker, Ocho, and Branch will be the top 3 WRs, with Woodhead and Hernandez being highly targeted as well. Price now favorite for WR4 spot.
- Couple of plays I watched Soldier he was off-balanced, leaning forward, and holding.
- Mallet throwing lasers accurately, first 3rd down hit Price in stride on an out and he turned it up the sideline for a big gain. Showed lots of confidence in the pocket and put the ball on the money.
- Ocho and Haynesworth DNP.
- Hill the X receiver with Thomas spending most of his time in slot, who had a costly drop on 3rd down. Jason Hill did well to haul in three receptions, finally time for some PT.
- Gabbert looked poised, accurate, and good arm. One time he tried to run, he got nowhere. Footwork was a little sloppy, but showed more good than bad.
- Jennings looked good with a couple runs inside and out, important handcuff.
- While their defense might be improved, you can clearly see their still weak across the board.
- Amongst all the touchbacks, Deji Karim had beautiful 84 yard kick return where he used his blocking well and then his elusiveness to cut back across the field.
- The kickers were a positive including Shank.
- Garrard + MJD = DNP