2011 NFL Preseason: Quick Slants – Dolphins vs. Falcons
The Falcons jumped on the Dolphins early following two interceptions from Chad Henne. Julio Jones showed his explosiveness, while the offensive line and Turner looked in mid-season form as well. The Dolphins OL was awful opening up no holes and DL outmatched. After watching one half of football here are my thoughts.
- The gameplan was obvious from the get-go, feed Julio the ball. After two incomplete targets, he excelled. Showing burst on a drag, good feel on a catch over the middle, and speed on a reverse.
- I was eager to see the OL after losing Dahl in FA and they dominated a tough DL. They opened big holes for Turner and Snelling.
- Snelling got the first carry when the Falcons got in the redzone, but Turner was re-inserted one play later for 1st and Goal.
- Falcons secondary was all over the Dolphins who were missing BMarsh and Reggie.
- Harry Douglas reemerged after being injured in 2010 and looked ready for a big role as the slot receiver. He made a nice catch in double coverage for a touchdown and was fed the ball after that, so much so that JPW threw a poor interception.
- Vontae Davis, one of th best young corners in the game, keeps getting better. He almost picked off Matt Ryan on the second play of the game as he was draped all over Julio.
- After getting good pressure initially, the Dolphins DL did not look sharp.
- The offensive line which was a sore spot in 2010 and a focus in the offseason was terrible. There was no running room and the backs weren’t given an opportunity to show anything.
- Henne’s first INT was the product of a Fasano drop. As much as I like Fasano as a old school solid TE, I have no idea why they haven’t invested in a better receiving TE. His second pick, on the other hand, was awful as he was fooled by the zone coverage and Grimes snagged it.
- Jared Odrick former Nittany Lion and 2010 first round pick, make a nice play disgarding Baker in the backfield and making the tackle for a loss.