Where NFL Undrafted Free Agents Signed and Analysis
After being locked out for 136 days, the NFL announced a settlement on a new collective bargaining agreement. Hours later players began tweeting where they would sign starting tomorrow. NFL teams started negotiating with UDFAs Monday night. Players that are under contract may report Tuesday, also on Tuesday teams will be allowed to talk to free agents. Training camp starts Wednesday for 1/3 of the league. Free agents can be signed starting Friday.
Here’s a breakdown of where the top UDFAs said they will sign (or are rumored to sign). Also here’s my post from May: Top Undrafted Free Agents
Straight From the Horse’s Mouth
Deandre McDaniel (FS)-Saints: Love this fit. One of the best available, could’ve been a 3-4th round pick. At the moment they only have one safety under contract, but NOLA all of a sudden has some youth in the secondary. Every year they are one of the top teams in the UDFA period finding players such as: Pierre Thomas and Carl Nicks to name a couple.
Weslye Saunders (TE)-Steelers: Another great move. Saunders is easily one of the most talented rookies in this class, with a huge frame and wingspan he could actually contribute this year. With the expansion of 2 TE sets, Saunders makes a nice target and Miller isn’t that durable or young.
Kendric Burney (CB)-Panthers: Great in zone coverage and Carolina has some issued they need to address in the secondary.
Mario Fannin (RB)-Broncos: In need of a compliment for the disappointing and often injured Moreno, they added a great 3rd down back (at the least) with upside.
Ian Williams-49ers: NT to replace Aubrayo Franklin who is basically gone and a top free agent at the position.
Rumored to Happen
Mark Herzlich (ILB)-Giants: He tweeted he will sign with NY. LB has been a weakness for a while, but after drafting Greg Jones in the 6th and getting Mark as an UDFA they might have found a solution for a bargain.
Graig Cooper (RB)-Eagles: Philly’s kind of player, decent price because of injury and versatile. Returned to form in 2010 after a devasting injury in 2009. Physical back who can run, catch, and contribute on special teams. Will defintely push for a roster spot.
- Noel Devine, RB-Falcons: Would’ve made more sense in New Orleans as Reggie insurance, like Rogers better.
- Kristofer O’Dowd, C-Cardinals: Need to improve OL, one of the best available.
- Jeff Maehl, WR-Texans: Great feel and hands, slot WR. Take pressure off Andre, should beat out Andersen.
- Mario Havey, LB-Steelers: One of the top players available.
- Terrence Tolliver, WR-Texans: Hurt by poor QB play, Tolliver could end up a stud.
- Taylor Potts, QB-Rams
- Cedric Thornton, DL-Eagles: Need to improve interior pass rush, DL should help.
- Derrick Locke, RB-Vikings: Need compliment to SJax.
- Tory Gurley-Packers, WR: Jones definitely gone now.
- Pat Devlin-Dolphins, QB
- Damien Berry-Ravens, RB: Bye Bye, Willis.
- Pierre Allen-Giants, DE
- David Mims-Chiefs, OT
- Andre Smith-Bears, TE